According to National Geographic, an earthquake strikes California every three minutes.“ Earthquake rates are quite variable: We have a decade or two where we don’t have many earthquakes, and people expect that’s what California is always like,” said Elizabeth Cochran, seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey. Eventually, “we’re going to dramatically see a change in earthquake rates.”
Here are some examples of recent California quake activity:
- California’s in an exceptional earthquake drought. When will it end?
- Early morning quake jolts wine country.
- Earthquake: Magnitude 3.5 quake strikes strikes off Southern California coast.
The price for earthquake coverage varies a great deal by the location of your ministry. It may not be as expensive as you think. Below are some pricing examples we’ve recently seen:
- Palm Springs church: $1,000,000 of coverage = $3,000 cost of earthquake
- Temecula church: $4.5 million dollar campus = $2,000 cost of earthquake
- Orange County church: $18 million dollar building = $30,000
- City of San Diego: $50 million dollar building = $40,000
As a reminder, earthquake coverage is excluded from the majority of insurance policies in California. That’s why we recommend ministry leadership should at the very least get the board to sign off on accepting or denying an earthquake quote.